Monday, May 13, 2013

The Lady Behind the Plastic Mask

Last Friday I had my 3rd CT scan and met with Dr. Lee (my radiation oncologist). This scan was a little different, and I was completely unprepared for what was going to happen (BIG mistake wearing a dress)! The hospital gown went well with my heels though, LOL!!


After the nurse asked me basic medical questions Dr. Lee came in and we went over all the POSSIBLE side effects of the radiation treatments...there are so many it was easier to just post the picture. 



Some of them are kinda scary. Like the fact that I'm so young it puts me at a higher risk for thyroid issues, heart problems, and breast cancer later in life. I just hold to the fact that everyone's experience with treatments are different (so none of these are "guaranteed" to happen), and ultimately God is in control, so His will be done.

Next I went to get the scan. They had to fit me for my mask, shown below, and that was really the weirdest part. It's hard to explain, but I'm going to try. The mask starts out warm and wet and they stretch it over my face and then snap it down to the table. The consistency is like "rubber" taffy. It stretches easily, and then as it cools it stiffens. I'm still not quite sure what exactly it's for, but I'll find out Tuesday when I go for my practice run. I have my first actual radiation treatment on Wednesday. 

CT Scan Machine
Face Mask






No comments:

Post a Comment